Finally, it’s time for eggplants! I am very happy about that because I love eggplants. My son thinks otherwise because he doesn’t like this sort of vegetable. However, I make them at least for me and my husband.
Today I have for you a traditional dish of Naples! A delicious eggplants parmigiana Naples style!
This casserole has a tradition in my family because my Nonna (grandmother) has always made it and my mum still makes this dish with eggplants from her garden! I don’t tell you how good they are!
Well, I prepare parmigiana, too. Now there are several ways to prepare a parmigiana.
In many recipes, as well as in traditional Neapolitan cuisine, it is expected to coat the aubergines and fry them before using in the casserole. You can do so, too and it is certainly very tasty! But I’d prefer to cut out a little the oil. I’ve started to make parmigiana a little bit skinnier.
Before using the eggplants in the casserole I’ve grilled them without using any oil! Great uh? 😉
Then you need a delicious homemade tomato sauce for this casserole, mozzarella and basil. And that’s it! And this is precisely what makes this recipe so tasty. The simplicity of the ingredients combined together. This dish is really easy and light!
Then put all together in a baking pan in layers like a lasagna and bake in the oven for 20 minutes!
This traditional dish can be served as a starter dish on a menu or as a side dish. Serve hot with a delicious focaccia. But cold is this parmigiana also very good!
Do you like it?
Here’s the recipe!
Eggplants casserole Naples
- 3 eggplants
- 1 can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 shallot
- 4 basil leaves
- 2 mozzarella
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Wash eggplants, cut the ends and cut to length to 2 cm thick slices.
- Lay layered in the strainer and put between the layers a little bit of salt. Salt helps to bring out the bitter liquid from the eggplant. Put a bowl on the eggplant to press. And put a plate under the sieve to collect the liquid., leave for 15 minutes. After this time, squeeze the eggplant slices with the hand.
- Then line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the slices of eggplant next to each other and put in the oven at 220 ° C for about 15 minutes.
- Now there is time to prepare the tomato sauce. In a pan heat the oil and fry the garlic and shallots. Add the diced tomatoes and stir well. Add salt and pepper and let simmer for about 10 minutes. Add at the end the basil leaves.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Cut the mozzarella into slices.
- In an ovenproof dish start with a first layer of sauce, then a layer of eggplant, distribute some sauce and the mozzarella slices. Then another layer of eggplant and so on. As the final layer, we put the mozzarella. Put in the oven at 220 ° C for 20 minutes.
Recipe from: emmiscookinside.blog
Do you like my recipes?
Then click HERE to subscribe to my newsletter and get all my new recipes for free!
Or follow me on
I’ve shared this recipe on Wonderful Wednesday #234
This recipe was featured: